Prince Philip of the Edinburgh has passed away at aged 99. The Prince was the member of Royal family since 1947. The prince married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal spouse in British history.
A recent statement from Buckingham Palace said: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty the Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. “His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.” Last month, the Duke of Edinburgh left the hospital after a month-long stay for treatment. He underwent a procedure for a heart condition at another London hospital – St Bartholomew’s.
Prince Philip of Edinburgh
Philip was born to the Greek and Danish regal families. He was brought into the world in Greece, yet his family was ousted from the country when he was a baby. Subsequent to being taught in France, Germany, and the United Kingdom, he joined the British Royal Navy in 1939, matured 18. From July 1939, he started corresponding with the thirteen-year-old Princess Elizabeth, whom he had initially met in 1934.
During the Second World War he presented with unique excellence and distinction in the Mediterranean and Pacific Fleets. After the conflict, Philip was granted permission by George VI to wed Elizabeth. Before the official declaration of their engagement in July 1947, he deserted his Greek and Danish titles and turned into a naturalized British subject, and received his maternal grandparents’ family name Mountbatten.
He wedded Elizabeth on 20 November 1947. Not long before the wedding, he has conceded the style. His Royal Highness and made by Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, and Baron Greenwich by King George VI. Philip left dynamic military assistance when Elizabeth became sovereign in 1952. Having arrived at the position of the commandant, and was made a British ruler in 1957.
Queen Elizabeth and Philip relationship
Despite being married for more than 70 years they kept their relationship notoriously private. They hardly ever spoke about their relationship with exactly no PDA. Here’s a little insight into their day-to-day lives and their love.
- Both of them fell in love very young. When Philip was just 18 and she was 13, they met in a Naval College and started their young love.
- The Queen and Philip both are third and second cousins by relation.
- Their relationship was a secret in the beginning because love marriage was not allowed in Royal families before. The couple got engaged since the King liked Philip. But they announced their engagement news after a year.
- Prince Philip gave up smoking for Queen Elizabeth. He apparently stopped smoking the very first day of their wedding and never touched it again. True love!
- Queen Elizabeth took Philip’s name before getting the Queen title.
- Even though, according to the Elite family rules of having separate bedrooms, the couple still had connecting bedrooms.
- Philip has an unusual and funny nickname for his wife. Yes, he used to call her “Sausage” instead of “Her Majesty.” This happened because she always has a very formal grumpy face. So to cheer her up, Philip said on one occasion, “Don’t look so sad, Sausage.” And that stayed!